Top 10 Tips To Improve Your Sleep
1. Do not drink any caffeinated beverages (i.e. coffee, tea, soda pop) 4-6 hours before bedtime.
2. Do not smoke or use tobacco products within the same time frame.
3. Turn your bedroom into a designated sleep area. Associate the bed with sleep activities only. Do not read, study/do homework, use your smartphone, tablet or laptop in the bedroom.
4. Consistently practice sleeping at the same time everyday, even on the weekends. Try to get approximately 8 hours of sleep in.
5. If possible, do not exercise within 3 hours of bedtime. Try to exercise early in the day if possible.
6. Likewise, do not eat within a 3 hour window of bedtime.
7. Stretching before sleep, however, may be beneficial. Perform some static stretching and deep breathing exercises, which may help you to relax.
8. If you feel the need to nap, take your naps earlier on in the day. Eliminating naps altogether is ideal, however, if naps are partaken, do not nap 6 hours prior to sleep time and make sure they are short naps.
9. Eliminate all sources of light, including alarm clocks, smartphones, tablets and laptops. Turn them around; avoid watching the clock when you wake from sleep.
10 To prolong the life and comfort of your mattress, flip the mattress every few months. Replace your mattress every 8-10 years.